Weekend Wrap Up: North Loop Shop Hopping
In the spirit of Sunday Funday, we did our rounds in the North Loop; explored some new (to us) shops, shopped some favorites AND visited newly renovated or expanded shops.
1. Kit and Ace: First off, swing up to Kit and Ace if you have a chance, they have tons of comfy long sleeves, sweaters and pants out that you won't want to take off in this chilly weather...I tested mine out this weekend. Plus, now they have a valet, how cool is that?
2. Wilson & Willy's: We always seem to try to visit this place "after hours" but yesterday the stars aligned and we caught them when they were still open. What a fun curated shop of blankets, high quality camp mugs, bags, books and a dash of clothing. I really loved the few pieces of women's clothing in the back (naturally) - some beautifully made sweaters and ponchos. I'd say this one is definitely a men's shop but a casual, hip one with tons of unique leather goods, wool blankets and beautifully designed hand crafted objects. Small shop that's easy to cruise through on your afternoon stroll or pop in and "gift" your favorite person.
3. Martin Patrick: has expanded! They did an amazing job expanding their back retail space; of course exquisitely decorated from room to room, there's a very luxurious home feel. It's comfortable, inviting and makes you want to stay a while and sip that beverage you got on your way in. The art throughout is spectacular (and for sale) and of course the expansion made room for many more stylish pieces. Find anything from an Italian suit, a bar set, a buttery shave cream to a "I'm never getting up from here" couch.... We love walking through here just to check out what's new and take in the good sense of style.
4. CIEL Loft and Home and Witt + Bliss: Previously Kindred/D.NOLO, now a collaboration of shops in one open space! The D.NOLO space in the North Loop across from Martin Patrick is now a bigger, more open space that houses a collaboration of D.NOLO, Witt + Bliss, CIEL Loft and Home, InVision eyecare and a few other small clothing and accessory brands. CIEL Loft and Home was on my list to hit when it was not even part of this collaboration yet so this was a sweet surprise to hit a few stores at once. This bright open space is well designed and inviting. A small, thoughtful selection of home goods at CIEL Loft and Home and Witt + Bliss is refreshing; you'll find some unique textiles, decorative art for your wall, a few unique pieces of furniture and some high quality tabletop accessories. Our find of the day was a MN alphabet print by Joe Ballard a Minneapolis designer and builder of objects. It spoke to my husband and I so we knew it was a keeper! Definitely check out these cool independent collaborators and get a taste for them all in one trip.
5. Askov Finlayson: has expanded! With the new addition of a small Warby Parker store in the back, they've re-created and expanded their space and it's awesome. The new space is much larger and packs in much more merchandise while still giving off a "small shop vibe". With their great selection of hand-picked "northern" attire (flannels, Patagonia selections, fuzzy sweatshirts and leather gloves), and a fun corner of books and objects this is a fun place to visit, shop for yourself or for others! It's also heard that they are working on a small coffee shop in their old space next door attached to Bachelor Farmer; you can see the alley that has been landscaped beautifully and get a sneak peek in the window of the new shop - soon to come, it looks like it's going to be a good one! For now, browse their new retail space and maybe try on a few Warby Parkers while you're at it.
Still have some shopping left before Christmas? I'd say you'll find success at any of these shops, maybe too much... That's it for my weekend fun, now get back to work! It's a short week :)